As a knife-maker I've long specialized in this area of custom knife making. For several years now, I have focused on exploring the strengths and weaknesses of available non-metallic materials.
Although ceramics offer a great deal in terms of cutting performance and edge retention, their fragility and great expense make them a poor option for general carry and defensive use. In circumstances where there is a need for non-metallic cutting tools to perform repeated cutting, under relatively low strain, ceramics remain ideal.
However for limited, brief, use - As weapons, emergency backup tools - non-metallic knives made from synthetics offer a great deal. The best synthetic material I've found is woven carbon fiber. It offers enough edge holding capacity, combined with durability, to make an ideal deep-cover back-up knife.

A small hide-away blade, designed for aggressive cutting capabilities. Featuring a rubberized kydex sheath. The rubber coating offers improved traction, helping it to stay in position in deep concealment, and masking the noise of anything rubbing the kydex.
Another very small hideout - Featuring a sheath drilled for stitching into clothing in the style of WWII OSS/SOE escape knives.

Hey Morgan, This is James Marwood, who you may remember from TPI.
ReplyDeleteI've a couple of questions about these knives, and I was wondering if you could hit me up on james (at) safeism (dot) com?
Cheers,
James